NAIA Eligibility Information
Student-athletes who have interest in participating in sports at an NAIA college are strongly encouraged to start looking into the requirements for NAIA Eligibility in their junior year of high school. The first step of this process is registering as a student-athlete with the eligibility center. There is a fee required. Once the student has registered, the student needs to request the high school transcript be sent to the eligibility center. To find a list of NAIA colleges, please visit the NAIA website under colleges and universities. Below are a few points to remember when and after registering.
A fee waiver request can be submitted upon registering for any student-athlete who has used a waiver for the SAT and/or ACT or is currently receiving free or reduced-priced school lunch. Once submitting the fee waiver request, the student needs to inform their high school counselor. The high school counselor must submit a letter to the eligibility center confirming your qualification for the fee waiver.
High School Transcript
Student-athletes will need to request their high school transcript be sent to the NAIA Eligibility Center. You may either request it directly by going to your high school Counseling Office or the request can also be done by using Parchment www.parchment.com. When using Parchment, the high school will be notified of your request then send the transcript to the eligibility center electronically. To determine when a student-athlete should send their high school transcript, please follow the timeline below.
- For student-athletes with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 after completion of their junior year OR a cumulative GPA of 2.5 midway through their senior year should request the transcript be sent as soon as possible after registering with the NAIA Eligibility Center. By doing this, a student-athlete could receive an Early Eligibility Decision (see below). *Upon graduation, a final transcript will also need to be sent to the eligibility center.
- For student-athletes whose cumulative GPA does not meet the early decision requirement (see below), request the official high school transcript be sent after high school graduation. This will be a final transcript showing your graduation date.
SAT/ACT scores will not be accepted on the high school transcript. This being said, the student can request through the College Board www.collegeboard.com to have their test scores sent directly to the NAIA Eligibility Center. The NAIA Code number is: 9876. The same code and procedure would also be required for ACT scores. (Remember upon registering for the SAT/ACT, a student can request scores at no additional cost to be sent to colleges or in this case to the NAIA using code 9876.)
- Have at least a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale at the conclusion of junior year OR have at least a 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale midway through senior year.
- Have met minimum test score requirement (18 ACT Composite or 860 SAT (Critical Reading and Math combined)).
- A student-athlete may receive an early eligibility decision from NAIA if ALL of the following is done:
- register with the NAIA Eligibility Center
- have your official high school transcript sent to the eligibility center
- have your SAT/ACT scores sent directly to the eligibility center (see above).
NAIA Guide for the College-Bound Student-Athlete
Please contact your high school counselor if you have questions regarding the NAIA Eligibility process.